Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue.

- Eugene O'neil

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Every Door

Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door.
- Emily Dickinson

Yesterday I found the most fabulous thing at a local antique shop.  Actually I found a couple things, but this one I just had to share.  Of all the things for me to swoon over, I never knew that it would be a door stop!  This piece is made of solid wood.  Although cast iron door stops are prolific and well known, apparently in the 1920s and 1930s, wooden figural doorstops were very popular as well.

The woman selling the doorstop didn't know much about it, other than the era, as stated above.  I can tell you, I will not be using her to prop a door open.  Lol!  She is quite large, about 18" tall, and her wooden base is a bit hefty, as you can imagine.
She does not have any markings that I can find at all, and that, in addition to the chipped condition of the wood ~ makes her price, according to my research, just about right, if not a bit low.  I paid $28 for her.  But, could you have resisted ~ look at this face!


I hope your day is full is open doors leading to beautiful finds!  I am joining a bunch of parties this week, check out the rest  of the participants, or join in the fun yourself!

House of Grace Twice Owned Tuesday

HOG
Vintage Thingie Thursday


Jenny Matlock's Alphabe Thursday - since the letter is W, and my doorstop is made of Wood!



Time Travel Thursday


http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

16 comments:

cmmama10-Krissy said...

I love it Chel!! What an awesome find!! You'll have to change your link to my blog....I'm actually using blogger now!! And put up my first blog in 3 years! It's so nice to not have to work outside our home again!!

Anonymous said...

she is PERFECT..i would've snapped her up too!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful find!

Teresa

Theresa Plas said...

A wonderful discovery! Nice to see her brought back to life in your abode!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

She is lovely! What a great find! Enjoy your day! ♥

LV said...

I have seen a lot of door stops, but never one like this. You were smart in this purchase. I doubt there are very many out there like her.

Gattina said...

Very nice ! I think you did a good bargain !

Judie said...

That really is quite an exciting find!!

Coloradolady said...

This is a very neat find. I have never seen one like this. It is very pretty!~! Happy VTT!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

What a very cool find! 18 inches is pretty tall. I wonder if it was for a dress shop once long ago. What stories that door stop must've heard.

RedTedArt said...

Oh she is wonderful!! Definitely a great find. Lucky and clever you!

A friend of mine does "Magpie Monday", I bet she would LOVE you to join in!!!

http://missielizzie-meandmyshadow.blogspot.com/2011/03/magpie-monday-back-to-basics.html

Maggy

Pat said...

Your sweet lady in just wonderful - so glad you found her and could bring her home.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

lovely w take.
smiles..

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

My mother-in-law, who will be 76 this year, has a pair of wooden door stops that were her mother's. They can be quite valuable - depending on the subject matter and condition. Your find is a real beauty.

Thanks for linking to the party each week.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

I have never seen anything like this! How totally cool. And I would have grabbed her in an instant, too, with that beautiful face.

Thanks for a wonderful link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "W".

I definitely learned something new today!

A+

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

So creative! Love this post...thank you for linking up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you tomorrow:)

xoxokara