Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue.

- Eugene O'neil

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Where Love Abides

Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest.
~Henry Van Dyke






We had such a good time with family last night.  My brother and his kids and his wife, as well as my mother and father in law, and my sister in law and her boyfriend, all came over and had dinner with us.  Colonel Sanders was kind enough to provide the chicken and biscuits, (making fried chicken for a dozen people was a little much for me) but I had fun making lemonade with lemons from our tree.  I also made potato salad and a number of other side dishes.  My sweet husband helped with cleaning and cooking too.  It was a wonderful day.  Tomorrow I'll share some pictures of family, but today - it is Display Day Sunday here at Born Broken, so I thought I would share a few vignettes from our house.  Here are a few little corners of my home.  Welcome!

Our living room has a huge picture window, and I hung small crepe streamers in swags across the glass, to make the room feel a little more festive for our guests.  
I've shared photos before of my prized candy vending machine, which is stationed against a wall dividing the space between our living room and dining nook.


Above, a nice close up of top of the momentos on top of the candy machine.

Above and below, another piece I  love is this vintage steamer trunk, from the late 1800s.  we use it to store extra linens.  It is in the living room, beside our couches.


Above is a comfy slip covered "chair and a half", and on the right, the side table is created by placing a tray on top of a painted cardboard ice cream tub.  I keep my crafty fabric inside the tub.


The pictures above and below are rather blurry, but they show a few of my favorite Gina Gabriell dolls, as well as a tiny Jennifer Murphy bird.


  Above, a couple of vintage china serving platters, along side which is a vintage advertising fan.  These are all on the sofa table against the back of the love seat in our family room.

Above and below, another blurry shot of teas, vintage tins, and favorite pieces of altered art.  These is the collection that sits atop the buffet in the dining nook.


There is so much more, but i thought this was a fun start.  In the coming days, I'll share more.  Until then, thanks for stopping by.  You're welcome anytime!

Do you have any collections or tiny corners full of fun displayed in your house?  I'd love to see them!  Feel free to leave me a comment with a link to your blog.  

Happy Sunday everyone!








No comments: