Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue.

- Eugene O'neil

Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's Studio Saturday!

Saturday is Studio / Home Day!

A house is made of walls and beams;
a home is built with love and dreams.


Oh, home sweet home.  What does 'home' mean to you?  For me, it conjures up a myriad of thoughts and emotions. 

Many people have a warmth for their childhood home - but my childhood didn't include any one place that felt safe or constant.  Still, to this day I have an incredible longing to find just that feeling...  safety, solidity, warmth - all in a home.  I want to feel that there is a place such as that for me to return to, every night.  My launching pad.  My start and end.  And it is safe, and solid, and warm, and I am filled with all those things.

Of course, I do have a house.  And I love my house.  I love these walls, and the people and dogs and cats that roam within.  I love the laughter and the music and even sometimes the yelling. 

But I've learned something too.  Perhaps of necessity. Or perhaps, just because it is true.  Home is a place inside of me - its not the walls that surround me. Not here.  Not when I was a child, not anywhere.

It sounds cliched.  Well, it is a cliche.  But its true.  The warmest homes are not made that way because of their architecture, their structural integrity - their sleek lines or (on the other end) filligree and gingerbread.  In fact, the only real homes that I have ever been in, and ever seen - are those whose outer walls reflect the warmth of the people who live inside, and not the other way around.

I hope you will join me here at Born Broken on Saturdays, when I will feature some of my favorite studios, houses, and just general decor.  The internet is such a vast and fantasy environment - it amazes me just how much warmth I can find out there, and I am excited to share!

Today, I am just going to share a quick little shed that I totally covet.  Did you read that?  That's right.   I said SHED.  As in, for storage in your backyard.

How totally adorable is this:


I just love this tiny little shed.  Ok, ok.  It's maybe a little pink.  I'd probably prefer it in a yellow, or aqua.  But of course, pink will do in a pinch.  : )   This particular shed is from a store in New York.  Sadly they don't ship to California - but they do to many eastern states.  (You can find the store, here.) 

They have the one below too, which I also adore.  The prices for these range from $1,500 - $3,500+ - depending on the size of the main (and only) room.  I am not sure if that covers delivery - and/or if the house comes put together or not.  It seems that would make a big difference.  Ha!



I have always thought that playhouses are the greatest things.  I always wanted one as a child, and still like the idea of having a sweet little bungalow, one day - as an art studio.  A place to play.  It would have to have electricity of course - so that I could make tea.   Wouldn't you just love to come over - if I had a little play house studio?  We could have a tea party - you and me!

Do you have any houses, studios or decore that you adore? Leave me a comment and a link.  I love to visit new places, and I'd love to feature reader favorites on upcoming Studio Saturday days.

1 comment:

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: I am new to your blog and so glad I came by to visit. Your blog is very cute and I look forward to getting to know you. I want to thank you for praying for my friend Jules. She is the one who is going through the divorse. That is very kind of you. Blessings, Martha