Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue.

- Eugene O'neil

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Simply because we exist...


"If the prospect of living in a world where trying to respect the basic rights of those around you and valuing each other simply because we exist are such daunting, impossible tasks that only a super-hero born of royalty can address them... then what sort of world are we left with?"
-WONDER WOMAN #170

Some days, my heart breaks.  Well, really - don't we all live with a bit of a broken heart - all of the time?  The things that human beings are capable of doing - saddens and distresses me on a daily basis.  We - all of us - always have the opportunity to act in love, to enable justice, and to promote compassion on a daily basis.  Of course of course there are millions of us  who do make a whole hearted human effort to make this world a better place.  But on some days, the news of the world is a little much to take.  (Click on the sentences below if you want to share some misery.  Sigh.)

I am outraged about this.

I am overwhelmed and grief stricken on a daily basis ~ about news such as this.

And closer to home ~ I want to know why things like this still happen.

I don't have all the answers.  The root causes of violence against women, war in the middle east (or war, in general) are equally disturbing and complex.  So some days, when I am overwhelmed with the ugly side of our world - I think that only a superhero could manage to get us out of this mess.

SO ~  to that end, I share with you my pick me up for the day.


Some history of this favorite heroine of mine:

Wonder Woman is an Amazon (based on the Amazons of Greek mythology) and was created by William Moulton Marston as a "distinctly feminist role model whose mission was to bring the Amazon ideals of love, peace, and sexual equality to a world torn by the hatred of men.'"[2] Her powers include superhuman strength, flight, super-speed, super-stamina, and super-agility. She is highly proficient in hand-to-hand combat and in the art of tactical warfare. She also possesses an animal-like cunning and a natural rapport with animals, which has in the past been presented as an actual ability to communicate with the animal kingdom. She uses her Lasso of Truth (which forces those bound by it to tell the truth), a pair of indestructible bracelets, and an invisible airplane.  (Source: Wikipedia)


Rock on Wonder Woman.

If you want to rock with her ~ check this out (and wait for it - it gets better about 1:30):

1 comment:

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi Chel,

thanks so much for coming to visit, and for featuring my blog on yours! I love to collect stuff too. I love cottage, and pretty pink things, but I also have a love for retro kitchen stuff as you can see here. http://pinkrosesandteacups.blogspot.com/2009/10/vintage-thingies-thursday.html I collect teacups, dolls, bears, etc. The list goes on. I just became one of your newest followers. I'll be back, and thanks again!

Debbie